This course talks about what marketing means both for the strategic planning of a successful business and for the everyday chores of keeping up with customers and competition. The focus is on high-tech companies facing the new rules of global marketing.

Course Info

Watch.jpg (29373 bytes) Course Info

Lecturer: David Talby

Bodeket: Galit Yehiel

Getting in Touch:

Reception Hour: Friday after class

Time: Friday 8-10:30, 10:45-13:15


Currency.jpg (71774 bytes) Syllabus


Files.jpg (89828 bytes)References


  1. Principles of Marketing, by Philip Kotler and Gary Armstrong
  2. Marketing 1:1, by Don Peppers and Martha Rogers
  3. Crossing the Chasm, by Geoffrey Moore and Regis McKenna
  4. Kotler on Marketing, by Philip Kotler.

Web References:

Marketing and business strategy:



Business plans:

Market research information:

Patents and legal issues:

If you encounter another a useful reference, please inform us about it.



Shake.jpg (28603 bytes) Policy:

The course will have two exercises, worth 10% of the final grade, and a final test that will determine the remaining 90%. In order to pass the course, all exercises must be submitted.

Exercises should be submitted in pairs. Submitting late costs 3% per day. This can actually be checked since submissions will be by email alone, letting us save a few trees.


Hammock.jpg (48492 bytes) Exercises:

Exercise One - Business Plan
Prepare a four-page business plan for a new project, either as a new or an existing company. The project and company must be in the software field. Use the guidelines given in class and the examples given in the web references above as starting points; build your plan according to these well-known standards. You may change the order of things or make certain parts longer than usual, if they are more crucial to the proposal, but remember that this will require you to make other parts much shorter. The criteria is the need to be as convincing as possible. Try to find statistics, graphs and reports supporting your strategy and idea; when using such data, always give their exact source.

Exercise Two - Positioning and Branding
Prepare a four-page marketing plan for a new software product - either the one from the previous exercise or a new one. Do not make a full plan, but instead build your document as follows. First, offer a market segmentation for your original market, based on one or more variables; explain why you chose the variables that you did. Try to find and show numeric data about the size and growth rates of the major market segments. Second, decide which segment(s) you will cover in the first release of your software, and which one(s) you will cover in the second release (usually about half a year to a year later). Explain your choices shortly.
Then, describe the positioning and brand-name decisions for the segment(s) that are targeted (covered) in the first release. This should include a short description of all decision related to those subjects (image, main benefit to customers, brand "tricks", etc.) that were discussed in class. As in the previous exercise, make your important points longer and the simple ones shorter. The last thing you must do is make these same decisions for the second release of your software - this release will target different market segments, will (hopefully) have a little of a brand name to lean on, and so on. Explain how these factors are used.

Good Luck!