Lecturer: David Talby
Reception Hour: Wednesday 11:15-12:00, office in 2nd floor in main building.
Time: Group C1 on Wednesday 8:45-11:15, Group C2 on Wednesday 12:00-14:30
The discussion group is only used for publishing information
that might interest ALL students!
This is the place to ask questions about the course material, or to clarify a question in an exercise that you don't understand. Discussion groups become more useful the more you use them, so it's up to you. Also, feel free to answer other people's questions and suggestions in the newsgroup, without waiting for David to answer everything.
The newsgroup will also be the place where announcements such as checked exercises and postponements will be posted. Posted messages will be assumed known to everyone! Therefore, remember:
It is YOUR responsibility to check the discussion group once in a while to find updates and corrections.
Q: Okay, so what do we need the email for if we
have a newsgroup?
A: For personal questions only - ones that the entire class shouldn't or needn't know of. Examples are a personal request for a postponement for an exercise, an appeal ("Irur") about an exercise grade, or any other personal question.
The course will cover the following topics, more or less in this order:
The following books contain all of the class material, and most of them contain much more. If you encounter books or web pages that are relevant to the course and do not appear here, please inform the course's staff so that your findings can be placed here and help other students in the future.
The course will have weekly exercises, worth 15% of the final grade, and a final test that will determine the remaining 85%. In order to pass the course, five out of the six exercises must be submitted.
You may submit an exercise one week late at the cost of 20% of its mark or two weeks late at the cost of 50% of its mark. Later submission will not be accepted and be graded as zero.
The exercises are theoretical. You are encouraged to submit in pairs.
The exercises are a crucial part of the course: They give you a chance to design practical, although miniature, real world scenarios, and understand the tradeoffs involved in every design process. This is the only way to realize the advantages and drawbacks of a methodology, or to evaluate the modeling power of a notation.
The exercises are available for download in Word '97 format.
Grades for checked exercises will available here with separate lists for Gimel 1 and Gimel 2.
Dec 27, 1998
|Ex2: Data versus Object Decomposition||Jan 17, 1999|
|Ex3: Inheritance in Eiffel||Jan 27, 1999|
|Ex4: Design Case Study in Eiffel||Feb 10, 1999|
|Ex5: Design in UML and OMT||Feb 17, 1999|
|Ex6: Security Systems||Feb 24, 1999|
Motto: Analysis and Design should be most useful after the course is over, in real life.